Smoky Pineapple Toastadas
Crispy shells overloaded with beans, slaw, and pineapple – what a delicious mess!
- 5 cups cooked, drained black beans about 3 cans
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ yellow or sweet onion, chopped
- ¼ cup neutral oil
- 4 cloves garlic, whole
- ¼ tsp liquid smoke
- ½ tsp gluten free soy sauce or liquid aminos
- ½ tsp kosher salt plus more to taste - I needed 1 tsp
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and chopped
- ¼ green cabbage, shredded or finely chopped
- ¼ red cabbage, shredded or finely chopped
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs brown sugar or other sugar
- 1 large pinch kosher salt
- juice from one lime
- 1 tsp your favorite hot sauce optional
- 8 gluten free corn tortillas
- ½ pineapple, cut into spears or rings
- neutral oil, for grilling
- extra chopped cilantro, for serving
- extra lime wedges, for serving
Heat the neutral oil in a medium sized pot over medium heat.
Add the chopped red and yellow onions and the whole garlic cloves to the pot and saute until they begin to brown.
Add beans, liquid smoke, and soy sauce and continuing heating until beans are soft and hot.
Using an immersion blender (or standing blender or potato masher) blend the beans until smooth.
Stir in the diced jalapeno and 1 tsp salt, or salt to taste.
Finely chop the red and green cabbage and cilantro and mix into a large bowl.
Thinly slice ½ of a red onion into half circles and add to the bowl.
Add 2 tbs apple cider vinegar, 1 tbs brown sugar, a large pinch of salt, and the juice from one lime to the bowl. Use your hand to mix and massage the cabbage for 3-5 min.
Optionally add in 1 tsp of your favorite hot sauce.
Grilled Pineapple and Tortillas
Fire up your grill!
Lightly brush your pineapple spears or rounds and the tortillas with neutral oil to prevent them from sticking.
Grill the pineapple for about 10 min on each side, until the outside is caramel-y brown. Let them cool a bit and then chop them up so you can evenly spread them over your tostadas.
Grill the tortillas for 30-45 seconds per side, until they are crunchy.
Spread a thick layer of refried beans over the crispy shells
Layer with slaw, chopped pineapple, extra cilantro, and extra lime juice.