Holy cow I love these buttermilk gluten free vegan pancakes! Fluffy, satisfying, and covered with vegan butter and maple syrup – what a perfect breakfast. And even though they are made from oats, they are extremely far from a bowl of oatmeal.Jump to Recipe
I think about pancakes every morning and I wish I had enough time to mix up a batch of them. Pancakes would be an every day occurrence if possible. I cover them in nut butters, maple syrup, berries, jam, powdered sugar and lemon juice, I use them as bread for a sandwich…really, they are good with anything.
These take a bit of extra time, so maybe they are not the weekday breakfast, but they are so worth it for the weekend. They also freeze perfectly, so if you make extra batches you can pop them in the toaster oven any day of the week!
I used gluten free oat flour for these because I think it copies gluten-y flour the best. I love the taste of oats – it pairs perfectly with pancake toppings. The many gluten free flour blends tend to create baked goods with an odd flavor and goo factor on the inside. This becomes exceedingly difficult to avoid because everyone uses a different blend and each blend behaves a bit differently. Oh, the joys of being gluten free.
Making the Buttermilk Pancakes
Start by adding 2 tbs of apple cider vinegar to 1 ½ cups of soy milk, giving it a stir, and letting it sit aside to curdle.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 2 ½ cups of finely ground gluten free oat flour, 1 ½ tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda, 2 tbs sugar, ½ tsp cinnamon, and ½ tsp salt.
Before you mix the dry and wet ingredients together, begin heating 2 tbs of coconut oil, or vegan butter, in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the soy milk and 1 tsp of vanilla to the dry ingredients and whisk until fully combined.
Using a ladle or tiny measuring cup begin frying the pancakes. If you want blueberries, bananas, or another fruit baked into the pancakes this is your time to add them. These pancakes take longer than you would think. You need to fry them for 4-5 minutes on each side.
Top with vegan butter and maple syrup, or fresh fruit!
Buttermilk Pancakes, Vegan & GF
- 1 ½ cups soy milk
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups finely ground gluten free oat flour I used Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbs sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbs coconut oil for frying
- Maple syrup and vegan butter or fruit for serving
- Add 2 tbs apple cider vinegar to 1 ½ cups soy milk and stir. Set this aside to curdle into “buttermilk.”
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 ½ cups finely ground gluten free oat flour, 1 ½ tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda, 2 tbs sugar, ½ tsp cinnamon, and ½ kosher salt.
- Mix the soy milk and vanilla extract into the dry ingredients until combined.
- Heat 1 tbs coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat, reserving the rest for more pancakes later on.
- When the skillet is fully heated, ladle the pancake batter into the pan. These pancakes cook for longer on each side than you would think! Be patient and cook them for at least 4-5 minutes per side. Otherwise the inside will be gooey and gummy.
- Continue frying, using more coconut oil if needed, until you have a lovely platter of pancakes.
- Serve with fruit, vegan butter, maple syrup, or your favorite pancake topping!