Square biscuits are better, right? I don’t know why. Maybe because I don’t need to reshape dough or wash biscuit cutters. Maybe there’s a better jam to biscuit ratio. Whatever the reason, I’ve eaten too many of these gluten free, vegan biscuits.Jump to Recipe
Oh, sweet biscuit.
Have you read Bread and Jam for Frances? Jam on biscuits, jam on toast, jam is the thing that I love most? Well jam on biscuits is certainly what I like most.
They are the most comforting breakfast food in the whole world to me. I want a stack of them, slathered with vegan butter and jam, next to a large cup of coffee. I want them on cold, dark winter mornings, I want them on sweaty summer ones. There can never be too many biscuits.
I am currently covering them with cherry jam and thoroughly enjoying my quarantined life.
Making Vegan & Gluten Free Biscuits
Preheat the oven to 400.
Combine ¾ cups unsweetened soy milk with 2 tbs apple cider vinegar. Set aside to curdle.
In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups gluten free flour blend (I used Namaste), ½ tsp baking soda, 1 tbs baking powder, 1 tsp kosher salt, and 4 tbs potato starch. Using your fingers, cut in 6 tbs of vegan butter. I used Earth Balance for this recipe. When the butter is fully mixed in, add the soy milk. Mix until a stiff dough comes together.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Shape the dough into a ½”- ¾” thick square. Cut the dough into 9 equal sized biscuits. Arrange biscuits on a lined baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Let these cool for at least 10 minutes before digging in. They are best covered with vegan butter or jam. Or both. So good.
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend with xanthan gum, I use Namaste
- 4 tbs potato starch
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 6 tbs vegan butter I use Melt or Earth Balance
- ¾ cup soy milk or almond milk
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- Add the 2 tbs of apple cider vinegar to the ¾ cup soy milk and mix. Set aside to curdle.
- In a large bowl, mix the 2 cups gluten free flour blend, 4 tbs potato starch, 1 tbs baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, and 6 tbs vegan butter together. Using your fingers (or a paddle of a standing mixer) mix until the butter is broken down and the dough forms tiny pea sized pieces.
- Mix in the curdled soy milk until it comes together into a stiff dough.
- Turn out the dough on a floured surface and shape into a ½"-¾" tall square.
- Cut the dough into 9 equal squares.
- Arrange on a lined baking tray. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let the biscuits cool before eating.
- Serve with vegan butter or jam!