Sweet and tangy raspberries on the bottom, crispy sweet crumble on the top. Crisp truly is a wonderful dessert. Or breakfast, no one’s judging here.Jump to Recipe
Raspberries are my favorite; no other berry can compare. They are sweet and tangy, juicy, full of bright brilliant flavor, and just look at that color!
It’s not often that I have enough raspberries to justify making a 100% raspberry baked good. They are precious commodities, but after tasting this crisp, they are absolutely worth it.
I went raspberry picking recently and experienced the joy of thornless raspberry bushes! Picking thorny fruit usually means eyeing a perfect patch of berries, juuust out of reach behind a massive blockage of painful spikes. But with thornless bushes I could lean right into the bush and reach any perfect clump I pleased! What a delight!
I ended up with so many raspberries, so it was time for raspberry crisp.
You’ll need 4 cups of fresh raspberries for this recipe. If you’re wanting a crisp, but don’t have quite enough raspberries, I would recommend using half raspberries and half another berry of your choice.
Preheat your oven to 350.
Place your berries in a medium bowl, and add ½ cup of sugar, 2 tbs corn starch (or arrowroot, or tapioca starch), and the juice from ½ of a lemon. I prefer my berry desserts on the tangy side, but if you are a huge sweets fan, add an extra ½ cup of sugar.
In a separate bowl, combine 2 cups of gluten free rolled oats, 1 cup of gluten free oat flour, and ½ cup packed brown sugar. Using your fingers, mix in 6 tbs salted vegan butter and ½ tsp vanilla extract, until the oats seem fully coated.
Pour your berries into a greased casserole dish and top with the crumbly oat topping. Bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until the berries are bubbly and the top of the oats are toasty golden brown. Serve with coconut whip or your favorite vegan ice cream. (It’s pretty darn good with chocolate ice cream.)
Left over crisp is not too far away from oatmeal, in my mind, so go ahead and eat it for breakfast. I like it as a “cold cereal” with soy milk.
Tangy Raspberry Crisp
- 4 cups fresh raspberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 2 cups gluten free rolls oats
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tbs salted vegan butter
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Mix 4 cups of raspberries, ½ cup sugar, 2 tbs cornstarch, and 1 tbs lemon juice in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the oats, oat flour, brown sugar, vanilla, and 6 tbs vegan salted butter. Use your fingers to mix in the butter until all the oats are well covered.
- Pour the berries into a greased casserole dish and top with the buttery oats.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour, or until berries are bubbly and oats are toasty brown.
- Top with coconut cream or your favorite vegan ice cream.