These black bean burgers have the right amount of substance – hearty and textured from the nut and bean combo.Jump to Recipe
Once upon a time, a veggie burger was a food atrocity. It was either a hard, black puck that someone added to a grill as an after thought when everything else was already on the table, or a mushy pile that was closer to eating hot hummus.
This one is tasty and textured, just be careful not to over mix it – you will get the dreaded hummus burger.
This burger is centered around black beans, but also has a healthy portion of mushrooms, which need to be properly browned before adding them into the burger mixture. Heat ¼ cup of neutral oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Then dice about 1 cup of mushrooms or break them apart with your hands into small bite sized pieces. Distribute them evenly across the hot pan, and then rotate them every 3-5 minutes until they are fully browned on all sides. It takes longer than you think. You want them to be very well done.
While the mushrooms are browning, add the pecans, oats, garlic, and minced onion to the food processor. Blend until the pecans are little pea sized bits.
Transfer the pecan/oat mixture to a large bowl and add the 1 ½ cups of black beans, 2 tbs flax meal, ½ tsp cumin, 3 tbs gluten free breadcrumbs, ¾ tsp kosher salt, and 2 tbs nutritional yeast. With your hands, or a potato masher if you do not enjoy getting messy, mix and mash the beans. You want the beans to mash enough to make a burger patty, but not entirely – an entirely mashed bean starts becoming the hummus burger.
Add the mushrooms when they are fully browned and mix until evenly distributed.
Form into six equal patties. You can fry these on the stove top or grill them on the BBQ. Cook until crispy on the outside, about 3-5 minutes per side.
Basic Black Bean Burgers
- 1 15 oz can drained black beans
- ¼ cup gluten free rolled oats
- ¼ cup pecans
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 2 tbs flax meal
- ½ tsp cumin
- 3 tbs breadcrumbs
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 3 tbs neutral oil
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tbs of neutral oil.
- Roughly chop 1 cup of mushrooms. Add mushrooms to the hot skillet. Saute on all sides until browned and crispy.
- While the mushrooms brown, add the pecans, oats, garlic, and minced onions to a food processor. Blend until the pecan chunks are pea sized, about 30 seconds.
- In a large bowl, add the nut mixture from the food processor, drained beans, flax meal, breadcrumbs, cumin, nutritional yeast, and salt. Using a fork, potato masher, or your hands mix the ingredients together, mashing the beans as you mix. Don't mash the beans too much, you don't want hummus burgers. Texture is a good thing here. Just mash them enough to get the burger mixture to come together.
- Add the browned mushrooms and mix until evenly distributed.
- Form the bean mixture into six equal patties.
- You can fry these back in the large skillet, or grill them on the BBQ! Cook until crispy on the outside. Top with your favorite burger toppings and enjoy!